[Haskell-cafe] Re: Rewriting a famous library and using the same name: pros and cons

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Tue Jun 8 19:37:42 EDT 2010

I don't really see this listed on your list, but maybe I missed it.

Happstack has been affected by QuickCheck 1 -> QuickCheck 2, parsec 2
-> 3, and HaXml 1.13 -> 1.20.

Those packages are common, and people often want to use happstack with
other libraries that also use those packages. The problem is that if
we upgrade to the newer versions, then people can't use happstack with
libraries that use the old version. For example, when we upgrade to
QuickCheck 2, gitit no longer installed, because some dependency of
gitit still used (and perhap still does) QuickCheck 1.

We are now faced with the same problem with HaXml. Do we upgrade to
1.20 and stick with 1.13 for a while? Either way we cause
incompatibilities.

The the cause of QuickCheck, 99% of the time, it would have been ok to
link the app against QC1 and QC2, because no one ever tried to combine
the QC1 tests and the QC2 tests. So, in that cause, making QC1 and QC2
completely different packages would have solved our problem. Duncan C,
also proposed a system whereby we could declare QuickCheck as an
'internal' dependency -- meaning we never export any QC2 functions or
types to the outside word, so it is safe to link against other
versions of QC. That would have worked fine as well, but the proposal
does not seem to have gotten any traction yet. That is unfortunate,
because it seems useful.

In the case of HaXml, things are a bit trickier. It is more likely
that people are going to want to use the HaXml stuff we export with
other libraries that use HaXml, so everyone would have to be using the
same version of HaXml then. At the same time, not very many people
actually use the HaXml stuff in happstack, even if they are using
another library that use HaXml. So, for most people the version
mismatch isn't really an issue. So, like QC, it would actually
probably be better for use if HaXml 1.13 and 1.20 had unique package
names, so we could link against multiple HaXml versions.

Of course, in the case of QC2 and HaXml, the ultimate solution is that
everyone upgrades to the latest, and then the problem goes away. But,
once you start depending on a larger number of packages directly and
indirectly, it does not take very long before you run into someone
that has not updated to the latest, and then you are kind of stuck...

As a maintainer, I have no idea when the right time to switch to HaXml
1.20 is.. and that is an issue. That same would be true of fgl
(though, fortunately, happstack doesn't use that yet). The only
solution I have at the moment, is to upgrade to HaXml 1.20, and then
send patches to any other direct or indirect dependencies of happstack
that use HaXml and get them upgraded as well.. Maybe that is the best
solution.. though it is also a lot of work.

- jeremy