[Haskell-cafe] Re: package naming policy (was: Please check your dependencies on fgl)

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Jun 8 11:51:57 EDT 2010

jwlato:
> > Great points: I've added them to this wiki page of for and against
> > points:
> >
> >    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries/WhenToRewriteOrRename
> >
> > Please add points as you see fit, and maybe we can come up with a
> > mitigation/change plan.
> >

> Thanks very much; that's a useful page.  It highlights some points I
> hadn't considered, such as when the original author is no longer
> involved with substantial changes to the code.
>
> Hopefully a productive discussion will follow.  I don't think a
> one-size-fits-all approach is appropriate, but it would be nice if the
> community could come to some common recommendations on this topic.
>
> Also, to everyone working on fgl: I certainly don't mean to single out
> your work as an example, however I think your contributions to this
> discussion are very helpful as it's a current issue for you.

Yes, my intent here is to produce a set of guidelines for maintainers of
important packages, that ensures we balance stability with innovation.

We have a great document for what to consider when adding packages to
the HP, for example:

    http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages

But nothing yet for maintainers who want to keep a package moving along.