[Haskell-cafe] Problems with threading?

Louis Wasserman wasserman.louis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 05:05:19 EDT 2010

While working on the Shootout, I noticed the following benchmarks:

The same program becomes almost 4 times slower when compiled with --threaded
and run with +RTS -N5 -- even though the multi-core benchmark really only
ever uses one processor.

Other languages seem to have found a way of arranging these threads in a way
such that parallelism actually happens, but as it stands, compiling this
benchmark without --threaded actually makes Haskell competitive against the
genuinely parallel alternatives in other languages...which is unusual by

I wanted to throw this out for people to discuss, because I'd like to see it
improved.  As it stands, I'm going to submit a version which asks not to be
compiled with --threaded (and has a few other improvements).
Louis Wasserman
wasserman.louis at gmail.com