[Haskell-cafe] Issue with "connectTo" function in "network" package

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Jun 7 15:56:06 EDT 2010

Another way round -- "it" (the server) was only listening on IPv4 and
the (Haskell) client only tried to connect via IPv6.

The bug is described here (with a patch):
http://trac.haskell.org/network/ticket/30

* Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com> [2010-06-04 16:57:38-0500]
> Perhaps it was only listening on IPv6 ? ::1 ?
>
> - jeremy
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM, aditya siram <aditya.siram at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I had an issue where using the connectTo [1] function would fail to
> > connect to "localhost" if my wireless card was turned off. The moment
> > I turned on my wireless connection it worked. But if I use connectTo
> > with "127.0.0.1" [2] with my network off it works.
> >
> > I confirmed that "localhost' resolves to "127.0.0.1" by pinging
> > "localhost" from command line with the Internet off.
> >
> > Is this a bug in "connectTo"?
> >
> > -deech
> >
> > [1] connectTo "localhost" (PortNumber some_number)
> > [2] connectTo "127.0.0.1" (PortNumber some_number)

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain