[Haskell-cafe] Cabal -j

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Jun 3 18:56:02 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Christopher Done's message of Fri Jun 04 00:39:23 +0200 2010:
> On 4 June 2010 00:05, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> > wasserman.louis:
> >> What, if anything, stands in the way of parallelizing Cabal installs, make -j
> >> style?
> >
> > Parallelizing ghc --make
> >
> >    http://vimeo.com/6572966
>
> Unless Louis meant what's stopping cabal-install from installing
> dependancies in parallel instead of serial? In which case; nothing?

I think cabal-install compiles Setup without starting ghc or such (I may
be wrong). This would be fixable.

If you want to volunteer try hack-nix. It's based on the Nix
distribution system which provides this feature natively. You can even
ask others computers to help building dependencies quite easily.

Downside: At the moment it will pull all depndencies (including kernel
headers and glibc..) if you install it on a common linux system.

Marc Weber