[Haskell-cafe] Can we come out of a monad?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Jul 31 00:00:49 EDT 2010

Alex Rozenshteyn wrote:
> I also found myself thinking about list as a monad in terms of this
> discussion.  I think it's an interesting case:  it's pure, but it doesn't
> really make sense to "come out of it".  Head, indexing, and last all break
> out of it, but none of them can be the default, and all of them require you
> to consider it as something more than its monad-ness.

The proper monad for nondeterminism is a set of values. If we think of
the machine as a nondeterministic automaton, then this set is the set of
current states in the machine. The bind operation represents taking a
step (or multiple steps) in the automaton.

If we generalize this to a weighted set then we get a distribution
monad. This corresponds to current states in a weighted nondeterministic
automaton. In the limit case our weights are unit, in which case this is
isomorphic to the nondeterminism monad. The next interesting step is
discrete weights (which, in this case, is isomorphic to using a
multiset), corresponding to counts of current positions in a
nondeterministic automaton. If we allow continuous weights, then this
brings us over towards probability theory, hence calling it the
"distribution" monad.

If we generalize this to a (weighted) set of values annotated by the
history of choices leading to their derivation, then we would get a
path/proof (distribution) monad. This corresponds to the current set of
(weighted) *paths* through a (weighted) nondeterministic automaton. The
bind operation represents extending the paths. If we erase the histories
in the set, then we get a multiset of values, which is why this is
different from the distribution monad. Generalizing this further, We can
also think of proof theoretic systems as automata which allow hyperarcs
(i.e., arrows with multiple inputs). In this case, the histories in the
path monad become trees instead of just linear chains. These histories
are the proof trees for their values.

All of these monads have natural ways of exiting them. Set-theoretic
operations generally make sense as corresponding operations on the
underlying automata, though there may be a few that don't.
Unfortunately, the list monad isn't any of these. It's closest to the
distribution monad with discrete weights, since lists are close to
multisets. However, lists have additional structure, namely they are
ordered multisets (not ordered weighted sets), and the ordering has
nothing to do with the type of the values. This ordering is why they
have so many other weird ways of being manipulated. While lists form a
perfectly good monad, they don't have any clean and elegant translation
into automata theory that I can think of.

--
Live well,
~wren