[Haskell-cafe] Problem with haskell types

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Fri Jul 30 17:34:45 EDT 2010

I was one of the people on #haskell discussing this with Anupam.

Note that that when you remove the signature of d, the result complies and
ghci will state the inferred type of d is exactly the signature that you
are not allowed to write.

In my opinion, this is a bug in the Haskell 98 report where it says

``If the programmer supplies explicit type signatures for more than one
variable in a declaration group, the contexts of these signatures must be
identical up to renaming of the type variables.

The problem is that we cannot give a type signature to d with exactly the
constraints of d_test because d doesn't have any type variable in its type
signature.

At the very least the Haskell report should allow type checking to proceed
if everything in a declaration group has a signature even if the
signatures don't have identical constraints.

A trac ticket is needed for Haskell 2011, if one doesn't already exist.