[Haskell-cafe] Definition of List type?

michael rice nowgate at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 15:54:20 EDT 2010

Thanks all,

Now that I have a (very) rudimentary understanding of Haskell, I figured I'd back up and have a closer (conceptual) look at type definitions to see what they have in common, and just happen to pick Maybe and List.

I also noticed Maybe has a list of "Instances"

Monad Maybe
Functor Maybe
Typeable1 Maybe
MonadFix Maybe
MonadPlus Maybe
etc.

while List has none, at least I don't see any in Data.List. Same reason?

>From "Learn You A Haskell:"

"If a type is a part of a typeclass, that means it supports and implements the behavior the typeclass describes."

I'm way out on a limb here, but isn't Monad a typeclass? and if, as we say above, that Maybe is an instance of Monad, wouldn't there have to be

instance Monad Maybe where
 return = ...  -- return for Maybe
 >>= = ...     -- bind for Maybe
 etc.

somewhere? Where? It's not in Data.Maybe. Is there some kind of scheme for defining this stuff, i.e., this goes here, that goes there?

Michael