[Haskell-cafe] Can we come out of a monad?

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:48:33 EDT 2010

You cannot break out of a monad if all you have available to use are
the monad typeclass functions, however there is nothing preventing an
instance from being created that allows escape. Many of these escape
methods come in the form of runX functions, but you can use
constructors to break out with pattern matching if they are exposed.

As far as I can tell, IO is more of an outlier in this regard.

(Did I miss something?)