[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: weighted-regexp-0.1.0.0

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jul 29 06:18:23 EDT 2010

Hello Chris,

thanks for the examples. They show that by adding anchors, the meaning
of regular expressions is no longer compositional. For example  (^|a)
accepts the empty word only if no characters have been read yet. So

     (^|a) =~ ""

does hold but

     a(^|a) =~ "a"

does not hold although

     a =~ "a"

does.

I deem compositionality an important property to compare the current
implementation with its specification. As, currently, I don't know how
to incorporate anchors without making a mess, I refrain from adding
them for the moment.

> A more complicated use, perhaps as part of a crazy parser:

That's a nice example and I don't know how to express this without
anchors.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)