[Haskell-cafe] Re: Lists and monads

Tommy M. McGuire mcguire at crsr.net
Wed Jul 28 11:43:28 EDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 08:13 AM, Kevin Jardine wrote:
> On Jul 26, 3:00 pm, Vo Minh Thu <not... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, just like with IO, maybe restructuring the code to separate
>> monadic code would help.
>
> The specific monad I am dealing with carries state around inside it.
>
> I could revert to a pure system in many cases by simply passing the
> state as a parameter but then that defeats the point of the monad and
> clutters up my function calls.
>
> Also, in other cases, I am using a module that defines its own monads
> and have no choice but to use them.
>
> I think I would prefer a style of programming where monads are equal
> citizens to pure function calls. There are various hints that such a
> style of programming is possible but as I say, I have not found any
> clear tutorials on it.

It's not much of a tutorial, but Software Tools in Haskell[1][2] apparently
uses monads more than some people are comfortable with, including stacks
of monad transformers in the later chapters.

[1] http://www.crsr.net/Programming_Languages/SoftwareTools/index.html

[2] Heck, the later chapters are only marginally readable.

--
Tommy M. McGuire
mcguire at crsr.net