[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Forum

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Jul 27 15:37:15 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:59:40PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> NNTP is

It's all true. I used nntp extensively in the 90s. I never emo-quit, I
just stopped using it over time due to waning ISP support and other
reasons made it more of a pain. I have nothing against nntp as a
protocol, but I have my reasons for no longer using it.

> I constantly have trouble with this mailing list. Even gmane can't
> seem to thread it properly. But I've never had any trouble with
> threading in any NNTP group, ever.

Hmm. I don't see this mailing list as unusual in any way wrt threading,
except that most people here actually *do* reply properly, most of the
time.

> >* If the mailing lists go away I will probably not switch to whatever
> >  replaces it.
>
> ...aaaand this is why no matter how superior it is, this list will
> never get updated.

Pretty much.

> >* A list <-> forum gateway is fine, as long as the message IQ doesn't
> >  drop through the floor as a result. This fear comes from personal,
> >  anecdotal evidence. YMMV.
>
> Uh, why would that happen?
>
> I guess if it went to a web forum there'd by a greater danger of
> that maybe. But heck, we don't have much trouble on IRC, and that's
> notorious for the kind of trolls it tends to attract...

In my experience, either a web forum is actively maintained and
moderated or it becomes a troll magnet. Trolls can live anywhere, but
they prefer caves, under bridges, and web forums. People on this list
who desire a forum are not the problem, and I certainly don't want to
imply that.

As for IRC, I think freenode/#haskell has enough quality and quantity to
keep the trolls down. I haven't had much troll problems on freenode,
though I'm sure others could share some tales.

> >* No opinion either way on List <-> NNTP gateway.
>
> As I say, there already is one. But because 98% of everybody uses
> this list as an email list, you can't go using it like it's a news
> group. You'll just get yelled at.

I find it surprising that you'd get yelled at, but I don't really know.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/