[Haskell-cafe] Actors and message-passing a la Erlang

Stefan Schmidt stefanschmidt42 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 27 08:27:38 EDT 2010

Hi Yves,

> You say that "With the help of this library it is possible to build
> Erlang-Style mailboxes", but how would you solve the issue of static typing?

this wasn't an issue for me because I wanted as much type checking as
possible. In many implementations, you have an implicit contract between the
sender and the receiver process. In this case, the contract is explicit and
the compiler can tell me if I'm trying to send or receive "wrong" data.

> Besides, Holumbus depends on package 'unix', preventing it from being used
> on non-unix platforms.

Oh... hmm, I think, the unix-package is only needed for the console-modules.
The distribution modules should not need them, but I may be wrong. I don't
have access to proprietary plattforms, but I think about splitting the
distribution package and extract the communication modules.

Stefan