[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Forum

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 26 19:50:58 EDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:12 AM, Nick Bowler wrote:

> On 20:56 Mon 26 Jul     , Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> My personal preference would be for NNTP. It seems to handle threading
>> much better. You can easily "kill" threads you're not interested in, and
>> thereafter not bother downloading them. You can use several different
>> client programs. And so on. However, last time I voiced this opinion,
>> people started talking about something called "usenet", which I've never
>> heard of...
>
> Conveniently, all of the haskell mailing lists have an NNTP interface
> available.  Add news.gmane.org as a server in your newsreader and
> subscribe to gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe.

I often find messages in this mailing list with such detailed and
valuable information that I want to print them, take them away,
and study them for a couple of days.  From Mail, nothing could be
simpler.  Visiting gmane with Google Chromium, all I can ever print
is the first screen or so of a pane.

I am *sick* of web browsers that cannot or will not print the whole
of a frame.  You'd think Google Chromium would do better, but no.
It does try to help by *printing* scroll bars, though...

Mailing list => simple yes trouble no.
Browser based => simple no trouble yes.