[Haskell-cafe] new Cabal user question -- installing to Haskell Platform on Windows network drive?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 17:52:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Peter Schmitz <ps.haskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently installed the Haskell Platform (for the first time) to a MS
> Windows network drive; e.g.:
>
> H:\aaa\bbb\Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\
>
> I did so without admin privs.
>
> It has ghc-6.12.1
>
> I need to not install to C:.
>
> I would like to install and use Gtk2Hs and Glade on the Platform also.

There are instructions in the INSTALL doc here:

 * http://code.haskell.org/gtk2hs/INSTALL

Generally, you don't need to (explicitly) download anything when using
cabal-install, cabal install does that for you.  However, when
libraries implemented in other languages are used, such as with
gtk2hs, you will need to manually install something.  That's where the
windows "gtk+ libraries" come in.  You can download them from here:

http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html

That url is mentioned in the INSTALL document linked to above, and the
document also describes what you need to download and install.  I
don't know if it is possible to do that without admin access though
(I've never tried).

Once you have the gtk+ libraries installed it should just be a matter
of running 'cabal update' (to get the latest updates from hackage) and
then running a handfull of 'cabal install <foo>' commands.

--Rogan