[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Forum

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 26 15:56:37 EDT 2010

Vo Minh Thu wrote:
> The idea of a forum has been brought to this list a few times in the
> past. Unfortunately for those who thought it was a good idea, it
> didn't really catched up.
>
> Haskellers are generaly found of the mailing-list interface.

I'm not particularly fond of mailing lists. It's a very unstructured way
to manage large volumes of messages. (Plus my ISP's spam filter is
utterly hopeless. It somehow fails to block the actual spam, and yet
repeatedly marks Haskell Cafe messages as spam...)

My personal preference would be for NNTP. It seems to handle threading
much better. You can easily "kill" threads you're not interested in, and
thereafter not bother downloading them. You can use several different
client programs. And so on. However, last time I voiced this opinion,
people started talking about something called "usenet", which I've never
heard of...

> Beside, with stackoverflow, reddit, #haskell, the wiki, the upcoming
> social hackage, ... our bases are nicely covered.

Kind of fragmented though, no?