[Haskell-cafe] datatype contexts

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 13:44:25 EDT 2010

There are two types of datatype contexts; haskell'98 contexts (which I
think are terrible), and GHC existential contexts (which I like):

class C a where runC :: a -> Int
data C a => T1 a = D1 a

All this does is add a context to the D1 *constructor*; that is:
-- D1 :: C a => a -> T1 a

But extracting a value of this type does nothing:

foo :: T1 a -> Int
foo (D1 a) = runC a -- compile error

However, putting the context on the RHS as you have done works in GHC
and does "the right thing"; pattern matching on that constructor now
brings the class into scope.  You can think of the datatype has having
another field which is "proof that a is a member of C":

{-# LANGUAGE ExistentialQuantification #-}
data T2 a = C a => D2 a
-- D2 :: C a => a -> T2 a  -- same as D1

bar :: T2 a -> Int
bar (D2 a) = runC a -- works

  -- ryan