[Haskell-cafe] Techniques for ensuring parser correctness?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Jul 26 06:38:47 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 03:01:54 +0000, Jason Dagit wrote:
> I think the grammar is fairly simple, although I'm not confident classifying
> it.  I know it can be parsed with just a simple pass over the data.  The
> only uses of backtracking are just to figure out what is next, like a peek
> at the next token.  Let me give you some samples of what the input looks
> like.

For the interested, I think you can view

or better yet darcs get --lazy http://darcs.net

> Here are three entries from the "inventory" they correspond to PatchInfos:
> [TAG 2.4
> Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de>**20100226180900
>  Ignore-this: 36ce0456c214345f55a7bc5fc142e985
> ]

If it turns out to be a sufficiently low-powered grammar, we should
probably write it up formally and stick it in the source code for

PS. We've been making little bits of progress trying to document Darcs
    on a technical high level, eg.

    - http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsInternals/Record
    - http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsInternals/CacheSystem

    Such a grammar would be a nice addition to the
    good-enough-that-you-could-rewrite-Darcs-in-Fortran aspiration.

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.