[Haskell-cafe] build and use ghc's rts without a full unregistered ghc port?

Korcan Hussein korcan_h at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:45:45 EDT 2010

Hi, I was just wondering if this is possible, I would like to use a gcc port
which cross compiles to the PPC architecture (Wii DevkitPPC to be specifically:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DevkitPPC) for a platform that is not POSIX compatible I
believe (at least not fully or maybe I'm wrong entirely).

Ideally I would make an unregistered port of GHC but the problem is because GHC
doesn't support true cross compiling yet I need to bootstrap on to the target
machine, which isn't running a POSIX environment.

Still I did try to attempt to build with both the host and target set to
'powerpc-unknown-linux' and build it with devkitPPC, I did use a custom build.mk
which should pull in all the required dependencies, defines, etc for devkitPPC.

In the end I didn't get very far with it, it looked like missing posix functions.

I didn't want to spend to much time trying to make it work this way (maybe i'm
doing it wrong completely). It's quite possible that I could make this work more
easily if I used a linux port for the wii but I would like to avoid the need of
using linux on the wii because I guess most home-brew users don't have such a setup.

So I thought maybe it's possible with less effort to build GHC's RTS and then
compile Haskell in C with the RTS as a library dependency. Is this possible?
maybe I'm missing something or doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance.