[Haskell-cafe] Experiences with cabal-install and Hackage

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Thu Jul 22 05:02:48 EDT 2010

> My only problem with
> Hackage is I feel like the maintainer is a fence I have to climb every
> time I want to upload a bugfix or a non-broken version of the package.
> I just want to fix it, upload it, and continue with my work.

Unfortunately, experience shows that a gatekeeper is usually
necessary.  Otherwise random people create and apply patches that
break stuff they don't care about, whilst fixing only their immediate
problem.  Distributed version control, like darcs and git, already
lowers the barrier to participation very significantly.  But having
someone review patches before publishing them to the world at large is
widely considered the most effective quality control known in the
field of software engineering.

Regards,
     Malcolm