[Haskell-cafe] Merge hsql and HDBC -- there can only be one!

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Jul 21 10:13:54 EDT 2010

Vo Minh Thu <noteed at gmail.com> writes:

> For a LGPL library, why do you make the distinction between open
> source and proprietary applications? They can all link to a LGPL
> library.

The "problem" with the LGPL is that in order to distribute a program
using an LGPL library, the recipient must be allowed to replace the
LGPL'ed component with a modified version.  When source is available,
this is not a problem, of course.

For closed source software, this can be solved by having the LGPL bit be
a dynamic/shared library, or by distributing the rest of the application
as a set of .o files, allowing recipients to relink the application
themselves.  Both of these approaches are problematic with the current
state of GHC.

-k