[Haskell-cafe] DpH/repa cache locality

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Sun Jul 18 05:58:57 EDT 2010

The difficulty with optimising for cache effects is that you're effectively introducing sequential dependencies between elements of the array you're processing.

To say this another way: If you can evaluate the array elements in any order then you can evaluate them in parallel. Adding restrictions like "element  i  must be processed before element  i+1" can improve case usage but also restricts the evaluation order, and makes it less obvious how to parallelise the code.

For Repa, I think we'll end providing primitive operators for doing things like 2d image convolutions. Moving from a linear image convolution, where the all the pixels in one row are processed before moving onto the next, to a blocked based convolution is really a change in algorithm -- and not something I'd expect a general purpose compiler optimisation to do.

Ben.