[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform dependency hell

Kevin Jardine kevinjardine at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 08:22:36 EDT 2010

I have Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0 installed under Windows and I often find that Haskell breaks if I try upgrading some of the current modules.

For example, after using cabal to upgrade to the latest version of Network.CGI, I can no longer compile any code and instead get this message:

cabal.exe: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.12.1 requires array ==0.3.0.1 however
array-0.3.0.1 was excluded because ghc-6.12.1 requires array ==0.3.0.0

The only way I have found to fix this problem in the past has been to uninstall the Haskell Platform and start over.

Can anyone tell me:

a. why does this occur, and
b. what can I do to stop it from occurring again?

Is it the case that the Haskell Platform is simply not upgradable and that I need to wait for the next release?

Kevin