[Haskell-cafe] Small flexible projects a possible niche for Haskell - your statement, please...

Nick Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Fri Jul 16 00:41:01 EDT 2010

Dear all,

besides good ambitions in many other areas, it is interesting to see
that a great number of present Haskell projects is run by a very small
number of persons and even some parts of the usual developer's toolkit,
like e.g. Haddock, seem to contribute to it.

Has the Haskell culture produced an environment which is especially apt
for such development in small groups, possibly with low grade of
division of labor?

In the last three years at Duisburg-Essen university, very small but
application oriented introductions to up to 100 rather non-CS centric
students raised an interest whether there might be a such niche for
Haskell application -- as there seems to be some evidence that certain
perceptions of a steep learning curve of Haskell may be in significant
correlation with an already existing imperative language culture.

In consequence, an 8-student-project with two B.Sc. theses is raised as
a pilot to examine the possibilities of using Haskell in the combination
small team with limited resources and experience in a startup setting -
we want to find out whether Haskell can be an offer competitive whith
languages like Ruby & Co. in such a setting.

An additional focus is the question inhowfar Haskell might be an enabler
in allowing a greater extent of change in the organization, like people
coming and going, or choosing new roles -- here we allow to *disregard*
the problem of teaching Haskell to innocents to prevent such questions
from dominating the whole of the discussion: This might be another
project. Our premise is the availability of a sufficient number of
people at an mediocre to intermediate level in the environment.

We hope this might be interesting to the Haskell community, as Haskell
seems to be underrepresented in this regard, and there seem to be active
prejudices by the imperative community -- which unfortunately in a
positive correlation with general programming experience, to an
observing third might lead to an impression that a such rejection of
Haskell is a matter of computing competence.

Now we -- especially the two students at their B.Sc. thesis, Markus
Dönges and Lukas Fisch -- are very interested in your quote, possibly

o   aspects of Haskell technology you perceive as relevant or helpful,

o   examples in the Haskell culture / community which might be relevant,

o   experiences of your own and around you, and *especially*,

o   language properties,constructs and extensions you would see as
enablers in this regard.

Thank you very much in advance... :-)

    Nick