[Haskell-cafe] Handling absent maintainers

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Thu Jul 15 22:18:24 EDT 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:

>  Everyone has their own branch of everything they contribute to,
> listed right on the website?  This is inline with another idea I've
> heard where we'd have a 'stable' hackage and 'unstable/dev'
> versions.  But, how does this work for resolving and communicating
> dependencies?

One thing cabal is missing is a... cabal to pick and choose APIs.
Imagine:

1. Hackage-stable
2. Multiple Hackage-dev's, each based on current Hackage-stable (if
they're too old, they're out of the running for inclusion in stable)

Hackage-dev packages are submitted to the Hackage-stable Cabal, which
picks and chooses the nicest code.  Hackage-stable incorporates that
code.  The Cabal would be responsible for coordinating dependencies.
(This would potentially involve some programming from members of the
Cabal)

This is kind of in line with how Haskell Platform is being built up.
They take popular/useful packages with mature API's and promote them
to the platform if there's enough interest.