[Haskell-cafe] Re: Please report any bug of gtk2hs-0.11.0!

briand at aracnet.com briand at aracnet.com
Wed Jul 14 00:52:23 EDT 2010

Short version of this post:

Looks like the intsall depends on alex and that dependencies doesn't
appear to be handled, i.e. I had to install alex before proceeding.

why do is it called gtk2hs if you are actually installing package
gtk ;-)

Where's the demo directory ?!

Moral of the story: don't forget to install -dev version of the
necessary libraries. For me that was libpango1.0-dev, libgtk2.0-dev and
libglib2.0-dev.

The long version:

I have a debian system and I expect the problems I found to be
relatively common.  Hope this is useful.

First I found that I needed package alex.

then i was able to

  cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools

however

  cabal install gtk

didn't work:

Configuring glib-0.11.0...
setup: The pkg-config package glib-2.0 is required but it could not be
found. cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
gio-0.11.0 depends on glib-0.11.0 which failed to install.
glib-0.11.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
gtk-0.11.0 depends on glib-0.11.0 which failed to install.
pango-0.11.0 depends on glib-0.11.0 which failed to install.

  cabal install glib

Configuring glib-0.11.0...
setup: The pkg-config package glib-2.0 is required but it could not be
found. cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
glib-0.11.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

now it's not obvious to me at this point if it's referencing a cabal
package glib-2.0 or the unix libs.  But I'm going to guess it's
actually the unix libs.

I do have the unix libs installed :

ii  libglib2.0-0
2.24.1-1                       The GLib library of C routines

However I remembered that annoying little thing that there is always
those darn -dev versions of the lib that you need when you actually
want to compile against libraries. So I installed it and got farther
along, crashing on pango.

Turns out it's the same problem.  So install libpango1.0-dev and
continue...

Stopped again on gtk+, aka gtk libgtk2.0-dev.  Installed it, and
trudged on.

I noticed that the install process stays at this point for a long
time:

Preprocessing library gtk-0.11.0...

But it does eventually continue, and it even completes successfully !

Strangely, at this point, I find that I don't know that I actually have
gtk2hs installed.  I know that this sound kinda dumb, but I just did
"cabal install gtk", right ?  I immediately tried "cabal install
gtk2hs", which said no such library, and realized that gtk was it :-)

So I'd like to run a demo to make sure things are installed properly.

Running the demos.

To get started, you can compile and run one of the programs that reside
in the demo/ directory in the respective packages. For example:

~/gtk2hs/gtk/demo/hello:$ make

But after the installation the demo directory is nowhere to be found.
Do you need to pull it in with darcs ??

 Brian