[Haskell-cafe] Re: The site has been exploited (again)

Mike Dillon mike at embody.org
Tue Jul 13 10:50:32 EDT 2010

begin Gwern Branwen quotation:
> Ashley has made me admin; I've spent the last 1.5 hours deleting all
> the vandalism and indef blocking the accounts. I have Recent Changes
> in my RSS reader, so hopefully in the future there will be no greater
> than 24 hours delay before vandalism is dealt with. A MW upgrade will
> also help (eg. currently checkuser* seems to be unavailable).
>
> * http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CheckUser

Excellent!

Putting aside what I said earlier about protection, which doesn't really
work well with a single active admin, it may still be worth putting some
protection in place to avoid a non-bot account maliciously sticking
something like the goatse.cx pic on the home page of Haskell.org. The
options I know of for doing this are the Patrolled Edits feature and the
FlaggedRevs extension. Unfortunately, I don't think either of these can
be applied only to a limited set of pages because of the MediaWiki
team's asinine insistence that they'll never support per-page
authorization mechanism properly.

-md