[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: SourceGraph-0.6.1.1 and Graphalyze-0.10.0.0

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 03:09:15 EDT 2010

I'm pleased to announce updated versions of SourceGraph [1] (my
graph-theoretic static analysis tool for Haskell) and Graphalyze [2] (a
library for graph-theoretic analysis of relationships in discrete data).

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/SourceGraph
[2]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Graphalyze

This version of SourceGraph now (should) only consider executables
listed in .cabal files as being buildable, and both packages have been
updated to use the latest versions of fgl (as well as following my own
advice in putting an upper bound on the version of fgl being used...),
graphviz and haskell-src-exts (SourceGraph only).  Please note that
SourceGraph-0.6.1.0 was a version I forgot to upload (and just realised
this when I wondered why it wasn't appearing on Hackage...).

The big change that should be apparent with this version of SourceGraph
is that thanks to the changes I just made to the newly-uploaded
fgl-5.4.2.3, multiple edges are finally being handled/visualised
properly; for example see the nice thick lines in
http://code.haskell.org/~ivanm/Sample_SourceGraph/SourceGraph/graphs/codeCore.svg
(which represents among other things 32 recursive calls within getExp
and 7 calls from getExp to maybeEnt).

I forgot to put this in the TODOs, but here are my future plans for
these packages.  They're rather ambitious and I have no idea when I'll
get around to them, but for all intents the only work I'm going to do on
them until I do these splitting up goals is bug-fixes, etc.

Graphalyze
----------

Graphalyze is going to fade away: I'm going to integrate its data ->
graph conversion utilities into either my new graph library I'm going to
work on during AusHack or into the successor for fgl Thomas Bereknyei
and are working on (whatever we'll end up calling it), the
Data.Graph.Analysis.Algorithms modules into graph-algorithms and
fgl-algorithms packages and the reporting stuff into its own reporting
library with different backends (pandoc, blaze, etc.).

SourceGraph
-----------

I want to split out and formalise the whole call-graph definitions and
concepts into its own library and have sub-libraries for different
languages to be able to have their own code -> call-graph conversions
(so it can also be used for language-c, language-python, etc.).
SourceGraph itself would then be more flexible in terms of what
languages it can deal with (so it might even be possible to integrate C
source files in a Haskell package into the call graph!).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com