[Haskell-cafe] Re: The site has been exploited (again)

Mike Dillon mike at embody.org
Sun Jul 11 14:28:40 EDT 2010

begin Mike Dillon quotation:
> Being that there is only one active admin on the Haskell.org wiki
> (User:Ashley Y), I believe the fact that this page is editable by any
> user is a policy decision to allow the community to contribute. The
> page could be protected, but then only two administrators could edit it
> (assuming John Peterson decided to become active again after two years
> of not working on the wiki):
>
>     http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/?title=Special%3AListusers&group=sysop
>
> As for whether or not moving this particular wiki to a Haskell-based
> solution would be a good idea, I don't see it being a win. I don't know
> of any Haskell-based wikis that support MediaWiki syntax, so the effort
> would involve converting all the existing content to some other format.
> Being that MediaWiki's syntax is the most widespread wiki syntax at the
> moment, I don't see how that would do anything but make it harder for
> people to contribute.

One more thing. On a wiki with active administrators, this user would
have been blocked. That hasn't happened. The last block was in August
2009:

    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/?title=Special%3ALog&type=block

If there is not someone regularly watching the wiki at all times, it
would probably be prudent to protect some of the higher profile pages
once there are more admins able to edit them.

-md