[Haskell-cafe] Equivalence of two expressions

Roman Beslik beroal at ukr.net
Sun Jul 11 01:09:31 EDT 2010

  Hi.
On 10.07.10 21:40, Grigory Sarnitskiy wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with algebra and I have a question.
>
> Imagine we have ring K. We also have two expressions formed by elements from K and binary operations (+) (*) from K.
In what follows I assume "elements from K" ==> "variables"
> Can we decide weather these two expressions are equivalent? If there is such an algorithm, where can I find something in Haskell about it?
Using distributivity of ring you convert an expression to a normal form.
"A normal form" is "a sum of products". If normal forms are equal (up to
associativity and commutativity of ring), expressions are equivalent. I
am not aware whether Haskell has a library.

--
Best regards,
   Roman Beslik.