[Haskell-cafe] Memoization in Haskell?

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Thu Jul 8 17:30:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm going through the first chapters of the Real World Haskell book,
so I'm still a complete newbie, but today I was hoping I could solve
the following function in Haskell, for large numbers (n > 108)

f(n) = max(n,f(n/2)+f(n/3)+f(n/4))

I've seen examples of memoization in Haskell to solve fibonacci
numbers, which involved computing (lazily) all the fibonacci numbers
up to the required n. But in this case, for a given n, we only need to
compute very few intermediate results.

How could one go about solving this efficiently with Haskell?

Thanks in advance,
Ángel de Vicente
--
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/

High Performance Computing Support PostDoc
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias