[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Haskell 2010 Report (final)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Jul 8 16:34:01 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:48:20PM +0300, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> Greetings! Now, can different compiler/interpreter authors make
> statements about support of this standard in their compilers please?

Jhc supports all the language features of haskell 2010 except pattern
guards. (ironic as I am a huge fan of said feature.)

The library situation is more complicated, there is tension between
haskell 98, haskell 2010, and supporting code in the wild, which often
assumes some specific version of ghc's base, which doesn't quite conform
to either. My current thinking is to give up supporting base directly as
a clone of ghc's and rather support just haskell 98 and haskell 2010
modes "natively", then compatability libraries (called things like
ghc-base-4 and ghc-base-3 perhaps) would be independent projects and not
tied to jhc releases.

jhc 0.7.4 which supports garbage collection and a speedier runtime and
better support for external build systems will be out soon. My goal is
one more point release before 0.8.0 which will have full haskell 2010
and 98 support.

        John