[Haskell-cafe] Criteria for determining if a recursive function can be implemented in constant memory

Steffen Schuldenzucker sschuldenzucker at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jul 7 02:40:23 EDT 2010

Hum. You are right and I'm probably asking the wrong questions.

My original question was when it was possible to eliminate stack frames. For
example, in the 'f' function from my first post, we know that none of the
variables x and y will be needed after the recursive call to f, so we can just
re-use the current stack frame for it, preventing f from using "additional"
space for the recursion.

However, stack frames are an implementation detail and I thought
"constant-space" was an abstraction of my idea. Looks like it was not.