[Haskell-cafe] Criteria for determining if a recursive function can be implemented in constant memory

Job Vranish job.vranish at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:53:26 EDT 2010

If your integers have a bounded size, then your Turing machine is not Turing
complete and can't run a Haskell interpreter.

You might be tempted to just make the numbers really big, but bounded, and
then say that you can still run most interesting programs while skirting the
issue of non computability.  But you will find that all the problems that
are now theoretically solvable are still computationally intractable, and
you are practically back where you started.

This doesn't mean that you can't make programs that can determine very
interesting non-trivial properties of programs/functions, but it does mean
that there is no way to make them always work.

- Job