[Haskell-cafe] Merge hsql and HDBC -- there can only be one!

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 6 04:18:50 EDT 2010

One thing that would be nice is a unification of the general database
libraries hsql and HDBC. What is the difference between them? Why are
there two, and why are there sets of drivers for both (duplication of
effort?)? I've used both in the past but I can't discern a real big
difference (I used the hsql-sqlite library and the HDBC-postgresql
library, whichever worked...). It seems the best thing to do is either
actively merge them together and encourage the community to move from
one to the other -- judging from what I've read HDBC is more up to
date and newer than hsql -- or have some documentation with damn good
reasons to choose one or the other, because currently this is a
needless source of confusion and possible duplication of effort for
Haskell's database libraries.

I wasn't going to post until I'd actually researched the difference
myself properly but I didn't get chance to have a look over the
weekend, but I thought I'd pose the question. Do people actually care
about this?