[Haskell-cafe] Are you a Haskell expert? [How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers]

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 10:45:06 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Felipe Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> writes:
>> There are many many other useful C libraries that we should have
>> bindings to.  For example, Hackage doesn't have any MPI bindings.
>> Could we write an MPI client in Haskell?  I guess so.  Is it worth it?
>
> We might get some in two weeks time <shameless plug>at AusHac</shameless
> plug>!!! http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/AusHac2010#MPI_bindings

That's nice!  There are many interesting possibilities of high-level
bindings that may be explored.  I've mentioned MPI because I may need
such bindings in a not-so-near future.

I'll also note that having many bound libraries is also an advantage
for newcomers.  If they see that a library they use to solve problems
in other languages already has a binding for Haskell, then they are
much more likely to be successful and in a shorter time.  I, for one,
didn't have to learn anything new at all to use Gtk2Hs (thanks,
guys!).  Should we have only WxWidgets bindings then I would need to
learn the Wx way before writing my first graphical program.  (Alas,
I've never programmed with Gtk+, the C "bindings", I've learnt with
Gtk# and then PyGtk.)

Felipe.