[Haskell-cafe] How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 10:13:38 EDT 2010

On 2 July 2010 11:56, JP Moresmau <jpmoresmau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Duncan Coutts <duncan at well-typed.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> When we are done we intend to write up a blog post more details, e.g.
>> numbers and the range/distribution of experience among candidates. I
>> hope that will be useful to people who are interested in hiring Haskell
>> programmers.
>>

> It would also be useful to people who are interested in being hired as a
> Haskell programmer, so they know where to send the hitmen,

:-)

> I mean, what to do to improve.

Yes, I hope it will also serve the purpose of providing useful
feedback to those people who want it. For the majority of candidates
who receive rejection letters it's always going to be hard and a
disappointment. Some people will want details and others will just
want to forget about it. In our recent recruitment we decided to go
for relatively terse letters and we will provide more information
about the kind of applications we got via our blog. So people who are
interested will be able to see roughly where they were in the field
and what kind of decision procedures were used. I've never done
recruitment before so I don't know for sure, but hopefully that is a
reasonable compromise between providing no feedback and forcing
candidates to read long rejection letters with too much painful
detail.

Duncan