[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are you a Haskell expert? [How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers]

Andy Stewart lazycat.manatee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 06:20:34 EDT 2010

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:

> On 7/3/10 05:57 , Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> Agreed. So let me rephrase: Why should _every_ Haskell library involve C? ;-)
>
> Who says they do, or should?  AFAIK it's only done for the reasons I
> mentioned (or, sometimes, for library compatibility; a native XCB library
> has been considered, for example, but it wouldn't share state with the XCB
> used by OpenGL, WxWindows, or gtk2hs (to name a few) so might have
> interoperability problems). When possible pure Haskell is preferred, but
> there's a lot of complex libraries out there that one should not try to rewrite.
Yes, i agree.

Let us make a GTK + example, why some popular languages such as Java, Python does not rewrite the GTK+?
I think the key is not which language is best language to
rewrite those *complex* library, the key is we need work together!

That's why Haskell build FFI to work with other language.

  -- Andy