[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: hs-cryptohash 0.4

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 22:55:03 EDT 2010

On 1 July 2010 17:25, Vincent Hanquez <tab at snarc.org> wrote:
> The main reason for this library is the lack of incremental api exposed by
> current digest libraries, and filling the void about some missing digest
> algorithms; Also the speed comes as a nice bonus.

Can you explain what you mean by "incremental API"?

> I'm looking forward to hear any comments,

(I'm not going to comment on the API decisions as I've never used any
hashing functionality in my code and I thus wouldn't know what is good
or bad.)

First of all, Hackage couldn't seem to build it:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/cryptohash/0.4/logs/failure/ghc-6.12

Secondly, at the moment even if you disable the testing flag, whilst
the executable isn't built Cabal still pulls in HUnit as a dependency.
 This can be resolved by putting the build-depends line in the if
statement (and should maybe put up the top of the executable section
to make it more obvious):

if flag(unittest)
    Buildable:       True
    Build-depends:     base >= 3 && < 5, HUnit, bytestring
  else
    Buildable:       False

Furthermore, the flag `test' is more common for enabling test suites
than `unittest'.

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious to people, the package name on
hackage is just "cryptohash", not "hs-cryptohash".

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com