[Haskell-cafe] Anyone recommend a VPS?

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Sun Jan 31 15:35:37 EST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> I'm working with a client right now on deploying an app. I was
> wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a Haskell-friendly
> host. I'm inclined to go with a VPS for this setup, but if there's
> reliable shared hosting, that would do as well. This client is
> fairly price-sensitive, so I don't think anything past the $20/month
> range to start off with. The only other requirement for this project
> is PostgreSQL. As far as wants:

I use Linode, and it seems to meet your needs as stated.  Linux of
your choice, $20/month, and you can run any software you run.  The
only tricky issue is that you need to pin your OS's kernel to whatever
Linode uses -- you can't just upgrade when your OS distributor updates.

I haven't used it for any business projects yet, so I can't really
respond to its performance/scalability/enterprise-worthiness.  I
intend to deploy a small project there soon, but might use Amazon EC2
instead (depending on how much RAM it turns out Happstack really
needs...)