[Haskell-cafe] C functional programming techniques?

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Sat Jan 30 18:28:08 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Maurí cio CA wrote:

> Sorry if this looks weird, but do you know of experiences with
> functional programming, or "type programming", with C? Using macro
> tricks or just good specifications?

> I know this is not absurd to a small extent. I've heard of proof
> tool certificated C code on the net (although I don't understand
> that theory), and I was also able to use what I learned from
> Haskell in a few C-like tasks. [*]

I would use a higher level language to emit valid C.  Basically, use a
strongly typed macro language.  "All" you will have to prove is that
your emitter produces type safe code, which you can do by induction
and is straight forward.  You can build up a small library of
combinators for type safe units of C code.  Haskell might be a good
choice for writing your C pre-processor, but there are plenty of
choices.  Using something like ehaskell (or eruby) might be a good
approach.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ehaskell