[Haskell-cafe] Hierachical abstraction

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jan 28 18:22:00 EST 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Luke Palmer wrote:

> I don't remember the name, but there is a technique where you compose
> the features you want and then take its fixed point to get your AST.

Did you think of "Data types à la carte" by Wouter Swierstra?

Also see the comments on Phil Wadler's blog:

> You can make a typeclass for each feature that uses it on any data
> structure in which it is present.

I don't fully understand this sentence but it reminds me of "Finally
Tagless, Partially Evaluated" by Jacques Carette, Oleg Kiselyov and
Chung-chieh Shan:

Regarding the question of representing in the type system which
features are used, phantom types might also be helpful. If I remember
correctly, they were introduced by Daan Leijen and Erik Meijer to
restrict a data type that represents syntactically
correct database queries such that only type correct queries can be

Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.