[Haskell-cafe] Linguistic hair-splitting

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Jan 28 03:14:38 EST 2010

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> writes:

>> It has been known to call such things 'computations',

I think "actions" has been used, too, but perhaps mostly for things in
IO and similar monads?

>> as opposed to 'values', and even to separate the categories of types
>> and expressions which deliver the two.

> As usual, that only works part of the time. [1,4,15,3,7] is not a
> computation, it's a list of numbers. A plain and simple everyday value.

But isn't a value of (IO String) equally plain and simple?

I think I prefer (as somebody suggested) "monadic value", so that (if
you want to stress this aspect of its use) the list is a monadic Int
value in the [] monad, while getLine is a monadic String value in the IO
monad, and so on.  Maybe.

-k