[Haskell-cafe] Linguistic hair-splitting

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Wed Jan 27 19:57:24 EST 2010

On 27 Jan 2010, at 22:02, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de>
wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 22:50:35 schrieb Conor McBride:
>>
>> It has been known to call such things 'computations', as opposed to
>> 'values', and even to separate the categories of types and
>> expressions
>> which deliver the two.
>
> As usual, that only works part of the time. [1,4,15,3,7] is not a
> computation, it's a list of numbers. A plain and simple everyday
> value.

Yes, the separation is not clear in Haskell. (I consider this
unfortunate.) I was thinking of Paul Levy's call-by-push-value
calculus, where the distinction is clear, but perhaps not as fluid as
one might like.

Int list values and nondeterministic int computations are conceptually
different, even if they have isomorphic representations. Identifying
their types has its downsides.

Cheers

Conor