[Haskell-cafe] Supporting GHC 6.10 and 6.12 in HDBC-postgresql Setup.hs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jan 26 10:29:50 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I've gotten some reports (see below) of issues with building
HDBC-postgresql on GHC 6.12.  Its Setup.hs file [1] is the culprit.  The
problem is that AnyVersion needs to be removed to work with Cabal in GHC
6.12.

But I still want to support older Cabal.

Following the directions in the Cabal manual, I tried:

#if MIN_VERSION_Cabal(1,8,0)
                         pgconfigProgram (withPrograms lbi)
#else
                         pgconfigProgram AnyVersion (withPrograms lbi)
#endif

While of course adding the needed bits to invoke CPP.  This didn't
resolve it; apparently Cabal doesn't define macros for use in Setup.hs,
only for use in the application.

There also seems to be no conditional for use in the .cabal file to
resolve this.

I could check the GHC version, but that doesn't necessarily correspond
to Cabal version.

Any ideas?

-- John

[1]