[Haskell-cafe] Codensity improvement of free monads

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:37:07 EST 2010

Hello haskell-cafe,

I have just read "Asymptotic Improvement of Computations over Free
Monads" by Janis Voigtlander, since I have been working with free
monads a lot recently and don't want to get hit by their quadratic
performance when I start to care about that.

But after reading the paper, I still don't really understand how
"improve" actually improves anything.  Can anyone provide a good
explanation for where the work is saved?

Luke