[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 147 - January 24, 2010
jfredett at gmail.com
jfredett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:29:51 EST 2010
Haskell Weekly News
Issue 147 - January 24, 2010
Welcome to issue 147 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
This week on the HWN, we have a new blogger in town, Bartek, over at
'The Power of Types Compels You', wrote an excellent article which is
highlighted in the blogs section. Many new packages this week as well,
and some interesting discussions about performance and existential
types. So, Haskellers, till next week, your Haskell Weekly News!
ForSyDe DSL v3.1. Seyed Hosein Attarzadeh Niaki announced a new
version of the ForSyDe DSL. This version provides more freedom in the
declaration of process functions, as well as compatibility with base 4.
parameterized-data library v0.1.4. Seyed Hosein Attarzadeh Niaki
announced a new version of the parameterized-data library. The
parameterized-data library provides fixed-sized vectors, this update is
provide minor compatibility fixes.
Updates and a new member of the Monadic Regions family. Bas van Dijk
announced several new updates and a new member of the Monadic
bindings-DSL 1.0.4 (Category: FFI). Mauricio CA announced a new
version of his package bindings-DSL.
Haskell XML Toolbox Version 8.5.0. Uwe Schmidt announced a new
version of the Haskell XML Toolbox (HXT). The main change in this
version is the separation of the XPath and XSLT modules.
Cardinality-0.1. Andrey Sisoyev announced the release of his package
Cardinality, a package for transforming between container types safely.
afv-0.0.3. Tom Hawkins announced a new release of AFV, an infinite
state model checker for simple, iterative C programs.
CfP: PPDP 2010. Temur Kutsia announced a call for papers for the
PPDP 2010 conference in July
Mini-announce: A few package updates. Andrew Coppin announced
several new releases and updates to AC-EasyRaster-GTK, AC-Vector, and
amqp-0.1. Holger Reinhardt announced the release of his AMQP
library. It currently only works with RabbitMQ and supports most of the
0-8 spec. An introduction to AMQP can be found here.
nntp 0.0.3. Maciej Piechotka 1f4e
gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/69228 announced a bugfix release to nntp.
haskell-src-exts 1.7.0. Niklas Broberg announced a new version of
haskell-src-exts, featuring many new changes to the API.
Existential Types (I guess). Ozgur Akgun asked about a problem he
encountered when trying to use Existential types.
Is Haskell capable of matching C in string processing performance? John
Millikin asked a question about Haskell Performance... Quick!
Someone get Don Stewart!
Haskell news from the blogosphere. Blog posts from people new
to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
* ++Bartek Paczesiowa++: Pure, extensible exceptions and
self-returning functions. Bartek, over at 'The Power of Types
Compels You', wrote a fantastic introduction to his forthcoming
exceptions package. It's funny, and a great read about using type
families (particularly, equality constraints) to create a pure
exception handling mechanic. Definitely worth a visit.
* Neil Mitchell: Optimising HLint.
* Kevin Reid (kpreid): Darcs repositories back.
* Darcs: darcs weekly news #52.
* Bryan O'Sullivan: New GHC I/O manager, first sets of benchmark
* Galois, Inc: POPL 2010, Day 1.
* Galois, Inc: Tech Talk: A Scalable I/O Manager for GHC.
* Galois, Inc: PADL/PEPM 2010, Day 2.
* Neil Brown: The Process Composition Monad.
* Galois, Inc: PADL/PEPM 2010, Day 1.
* Thomas M. DuBuisson: GHC on ARM.
* David Sankel: Semantic Editor Combinators - one of my favorite
* David Sankel: Best Haskell Papers of 2009.
* Gtk2HS: Compiling with ghc 6.12.
* Arch Haskell News: wxHaskell packaged for Arch.
* Darcs: darcs weekly news #51.
* Don Stewart (dons): Playing with the new Haskell epoll event
* Dan Piponi (sigfpe): Target Enumeration with the Euler
Characteristic. Parts 1 & 2.
Quotes of the Week
* tensorpudding: the Plot monad allow you to keep the story pure by
containing all the glaring time travel silliness
* sproingie: quickcheck myLanguage.hs --> "Web browser created after
* RossPaterson: I'm afraid you voided the warranty when you used
* aavogt: strong static typing is not a substitute for sleep
* tensorpudding: fixity goes up to 11
* temoto: Backwards written in as Forth?
* Paczesiowa: oh. can't argue with Cale :)
* Axman6: and smilies make code run faster
About the Haskell Weekly News
New editions are posted to the Haskell mailing list as well as to
the Haskell Sequence and Planet Haskell. RSS is also
available, and headlines appear on haskell.org.
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
information on how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
http://patch-tag.com/r/jfredett/HWN2/pullrepo HWN2 .
More information about the Haskell-Cafe