[Haskell-cafe] ghci debugger, can't set breakpoint

Mike Burrell mburrel at uwo.ca
Sat Jan 23 10:49:10 EST 2010

I recently upgraded from GHC 6.8.2 to GHC 6.10.4 and can no longer set
breakpoints the way I'm used to. It seems I can only set breakpoints
in the current module. I Googled around and found someone with a
similar error message trying to load modules which aren't interpreted,
but that's not the case for me as all modules are interpreted.

Here's me loading the TypeInference module (where I want to set the
breakpoint) directly and having it work. Then I load the Main module
and try to set the breakpoint in TypeInference with no luck. Am I
setting breakpoints wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

GHCi, version 6.10.4: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Prelude> :l TypeInference
[1 of 3] Compiling Utility          ( Utility.lhs, interpreted )
[2 of 3] Compiling Parser           ( Parser.hs, interpreted )

Parser.hs:1897:1:
    Warning: Pattern match(es) are overlapped
             In a case alternative: _ -> ...
[3 of 3] Compiling TypeInference    ( TypeInference.lhs, interpreted )
Ok, modules loaded: Parser, TypeInference, Utility.
*TypeInference> :break 823
Breakpoint 0 activated at TypeInference.lhs:823:10-14
*TypeInference> :l Main
[1 of 7] Compiling Utility          ( Utility.lhs, interpreted )
[2 of 7] Compiling Parser           ( Parser.hs, interpreted )

Parser.hs:1897:1:
    Warning: Pattern match(es) are overlapped
             In a case alternative: _ -> ...
[3 of 7] Compiling TypeInference    ( TypeInference.lhs, interpreted )
[4 of 7] Compiling Bounds           ( Bounds.lhs, interpreted )
[5 of 7] Compiling Interpreter      ( Interpreter.lhs, interpreted )
[6 of 7] Compiling PatternMatching  ( PatternMatching.lhs, interpreted )
[7 of 7] Compiling Main             ( Main.lhs, interpreted )
Ok, modules loaded: Parser, TypeInference, Utility, Main, Bounds,
PatternMatching, Interpreter.
*Main> :break TypeInference 823
No breakpoints found at that location.
*Main>