[Haskell-cafe] Non-termination due to context

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 22 08:19:17 EST 2010

It's a feature!

You have
 * B is a superclass of A
 * Eq is a superclass of B

So every A dictionary has a B dictionary inside it, and every B dictionary has an Eq dictionary inside it.

Now, your instance declaration
	instance (A a, Eq a) => B a
says "if you give me an A dictionary and an Eq dictionary, I'll make you a B dictionary".

Now, 'test' needs a (B Int) dictionary.  To get one, we need an (A Int) dictionary and an (Eq Int) dictionary.  But

	when solving these sub-problems, GHC assumes that you
	have in hand a solution to the original problem, this case (B Int)

Why? Read the SYB3 paper.

OK so now you see the problem: we can solve the (A Int) and (Eq Int) sub-problems by selection from the (B Int) dictionary.

Still, I confess that I have not fully grokked the relationship between the SYB3-style recursion stuff and the question of superclasses.   So I will think about your example some more, thank you.

Meanwhile, it's clear that you are on thin ice.

Simon