[Haskell-cafe] Re: Windows emulator for testing purposes

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Mon Jan 18 19:15:54 EST 2010

Hi,

this is my configuration:

My iMac and right next to it an x86 with 8GB RAM running OpenSolaris,
because of its ZFS.

On the OpenSolaris box are about 20 VMs with XP mostly installed, run by
VirtualBox in headless mode. I connect to those machines from my iMac
via Remote Desktop (available for Mac from Microsoft). Thanks to the RAM
I can run up to 3 VMs simultaneously.

Once you installed your 1st WinXP into a Virtual Machine and have it
activated take a ZFS snapshot of the Virtual disk image and then make
ZFS clones from that snapshot. Use those disk images then to install
software as you like.

They will not cost you any additional disk space initially, thanks to ZFS.

All of my devel work is done in those VMS. I suggest you do not bother
with wine.

Günther